Thursday, January 31, 2019

Movies of 2009 Thus Far (January-February)

I found a tweet last night from film critic Chris Gore (best known, or at least I know him from G4's Attack of the Show) about Zombieland
With 10 possible Best Picture nominees, @Zombieland has a chance at Oscar gold! Badassawesome! A zombie wave4u: http://tinyurl.com/y8wpd7a
Certainly this is a satirical statement, but because of that, it leaves me to wonder about the quality of movies this year. Can a zombie flick (not directed by George A. Romero) be one of the ten best films this year?

So, lets partake with a week by week break down of what has been offered by Hollywood.

January 2 (based on information gathered from film-releases.com:)

Only movies that were released were limited to the coasts. Can't base any conclusions from that.

January 9
  • Bride Wars - Why we should be happy the Oscars snubbed Hudson and Hathaway.
  • Not Easily Broken - I like to be behind Billy Duke, but wrong ethnicity for subject matter. Take the Color Purple as an example. Especially when no one dare cross Oprah.
  • The Unborn - Classic issue of a great writer being a wretched director.
January 16
  • Hotel for Dogs - at least the kids get something.
  • Paul Blart: Mall Cop - I saw it, liked it, but it ain't art.
  • Notorious - Give me a break. Tupac was at least kind enough to leave us a great performance in Juice.
  • My Bloody Valentine 3-D - Unless you are producing for Disney World, stay away from the format.
January 23
  • Inkheart - Drawings and Brendan Frasier? I didn't remember Monkey Bone working out.
  • Underworld - Rise of the Lycans - British actors in sci-fi are never taken seriously. I've rented Doomsday, so I'll find out if we can take the Kate Beckingsale knock off seriously.
January 30
  • New In Town - When my Midwest conservative mom cannot relate, it must have missed its mark (or she get thrown off by "abooots" and "ehs")
  • Taken - This was technically released in 2008, and action movies never win Oscars.
February 6
  • Coraline - I've probably seen this movie in its entirety, but when you have to deal with an overly involved two year-old, I can't say I know what it is about. Still, the buzz at least secures it a Best Animated Feature Nomination (which it will either lose to Up or Ponyo). The only bad thing I can say about it is the 3-D bull shit it embraces. If it proved appropriate for a two year-old, I can tell you that the audience could care less about 3-D. The glasses annoy them.
  • He's Not That in to You - Made for dates, not for accolades.
February 13

I've actually wrote a couple blogs about this weekend:
February 20
  • Fired Up - PG-13 humor about R-Rated characters always fails (with the exception of Dude, Where's My Car?)
  • Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail - If you don't screen your films for critics, then they aren't art.
February 27
  • Jonas Brothers The Bull Shit Concert Experience
  • Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li - Since Street Fighter is the best video game franchise, I'm sure I'll rent it, but I'm not expecting Tai Chi Master or Hard-Boiled.
After breaking two months down, and stretching the capabilities of what should be considered website guidelines, I'll continue this blog the next time Gary Hale tells us to work on them. I would love feedback though. Perhaps, I'm just being too harsh, but keep in mind that this was still Oscar season, so if it wasn't talked about, it won't be talked about for the rest of the year.




AnimeRuss.Blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment