Saturday, February 2, 2019

May and June Movies 2K9

It took me a while to even want to go out and see the new releases in these months. My blog At the gimmick because we can't call them movies can sum the reasoning behind this up. I may just be too jaded, but it's tough to go see a blockbuster?

Effects are first and substance second. George Lucas proved to us that we can have both, but is Hollywood out to prevent a massive nerd population from developing? Surely, science fiction is not the only genre that can provide us with substance and special effects. Perhaps if we just keep Michael Bay from the director's chair, we can move forward in the quest to create excellent blockbusters.

May 1, 2009
  • "Battle for Terra" - Lousy title (is it sci-fi or indie romantic comedy) and lousy promotion. A 3-D movie, and I didn't even know of it until I saw it on the shelves of Walmart.
  • "Ghost of Girlfriends Past" - Could have been a clever Russell Brand/Paul Rudd project, but someone decided that they had to throw millions into a Matthew McConaughey project.
  • "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" - Once again, I refer you to At the gimmick because we can't call them movies

May 8, 2009

May 15, 2008
  • "Angels and Demons" - I'm not a fan of using religion as a book gimmick thus I don't see how the gimmick will translate to the silver screen.
May 22, 2009
  • "Dance Flick" - It is great to see the Wayans Brothers had returned to what made the "Scary Movie" franchise, and that they are not starring the weaker bros Marlon and SW1. Still, it's a gimmick flick, so greatness is unlikely.
  • "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" - A great improvement over its predecessor which was a good film, but to much chaos to be art.
May 29, 2009
  • "The Brothers Bloom" - I did not even here about this film. Since it had a limited release the week prior, I suppose it is an indie flick that may need recognition?
  • "Drag Me To Hell" - I heard that this film was not a bad return to horror for "Evil Dead's" Sam Raimi, but why did it have to be PG-13? No slashstick comedy? No Bruce Campbell?
  • "Up" - Check out the blog "Up: The Emergence Perpendicular Citizens Brigade."
June 5, 2009
  • "The Hangover" - Todd Phillips shows that he can deliver awkward comedy better than Jud Apatow, but this shows why comedy doesn't get nominations.
  • "Land of the Lost" - When my mom says it was wretched...
  • "My Life in Ruins" - There will be no My Big Fat Greek Comeback.
June 12, 2009
  • "Imagine That" - An ad campaign cannot be limited to your network of channels. Nickelodeon had one chance at Oscar and that was "Jimmy Neutron."  I think we would all want to forget about that.
  • "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3" - I don't see Travolta as a marketable cool villain after "Swordfish."
June 19, 2009
  • "The Proposal" - There are no great Ryan Reynolds pictures.
  • "Year One" - I've heard nothing but bad things about this flick. How can you mess up a movie where you have David Cross playing Cain?
June 26, 2009
  • "My Sister's Keeper" - Cameron Diaz in a tear jerker. I'd be slitting my wrist if it was that or see this flick.
I now notice that I didn't cover "Terminator Salvation."  Darn those Thursday international release dates. It is a solid acting picture, and allows us to forget about "Terminator 3."  Of course continuity errors prevent us from comparing it to Cameron's greatest pictures. Since those films were under appreciated by award shows, this doesn't stand a chance.

So, I have two more of the blogs before the semester ends. Since I have an insurance website I'm working on (Secure 1st who stiffed me for $660), I'm not going to push this blog to cover another month because I can't get CPUsed up. Till next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment