Saturday, July 6, 2019

January 2016: For Your Consideration: Wrestling not the Oscars

I left my journal/“Pokemon X” notebook in the car, so hopefully I’ll have some interesting to blog about because otherwise I’ll just look like a twat who can’t take his eyes off their phone at a wrestling show.
I doubt anyone wants to hear about what I can definitely define as a midlife crisis (both my grandfathers passed away at mean age 76, so I suppose we can call this my 39), and because my elbow is tensing up from overly aggressive lab work, sticking to overdone and ill ideas in wrestling seems like the wise thing to write about. This seems like a premise I can finish up with just quick quips between matches.
Bodily Fluids to Avoid:
This one isn’t really overdone, but you have to pick the right crowd to do it in. Chicago’s indie crowd allows you to get away with it thanks to Shimmer. The January 16th, 2016, AAW show had a crowd that liked to make the show about them, but had enough respect for wrestling being wrestling regardless of gender. If this was a WWE crowd, I would advise that woman not spit at each other. You’re just asking for obscene chants.
Respect the Green Street Elite:
I have determined I’m not a fan of The Hooligans’ gimmick. The athletic ability and talent can’t be denied, but rednecks do not come across to me as hooligans. Just because you play Hank 3 as entrance music doesn’t mean your name should be associated with English football fans or the crime Pussy Riot served time for. At least not a Hank 3 country track.
Then there’s the bare feet. Samoans usually only hit their opponents with a kick. Headbutts were their counters. When you decide to kick your way out of stuff with dirty feet, it disgusts me. And again, rioters (hooligans) aren’t dim enough to go into a battle without a pair of Doc Martins.
So I guess I just want covered feet and a different name for the Cutter Bros. If your brothers, isn’t that a good enough name? It’s not like there is a family of pop musicians from Gary, IN who have already become synonymous with that surname.
Wrestling Sidelines:
If a promotion has guard rails, follow the ECW taping rule of going out beyond them. You can knock them over the rail and follow up with a flying attack, but only one match should brawl into the crowd. The one ECW card I attended, only one match went over into the crowd, and that was the main event. Also, in that case, the rule wouldn’t apply because it was a New Jack match.
And when it comes to flying to the floor, if there are guard rails, skip the suicide dive*. A flying shove is just a shove. An elbow or a fist is associated with damage.
*After seeing a dive in the Trevor Lee vs Eddie Kingston main event that was closer to my seat, as long as the barricades aren’t padded, the flying shove can look effective. If WWE wants to seem both more realistic and more compassionate about the safety of their independent contractors perhaps they should ban the dive. No more head first dives directed at the barricades and no more pushing for the fans to endure.
Remembering the Rules:
Perhaps Davey Vega asked for a count out victory in his Heritage Championship defense to remind or educate the fans of No Disqualifications in the promotion, just in case the no stipulation bout between Ryan Boz and Abyss didn’t imply it when they used tacs, kendo sticks and chairs.
Vega could have retained if he would have laid down and hope he and AR Fox wouldn’t answer the count. Maybe it’s more about remembering the tactics of Eddie Guerrero than it is the rules.
Some Finer Points:
Maybe this is only in my mind, but I think I’ve seen a lot of people spiking the top of their heads when taking a DDT. That is kind of an insult to Jake Roberts if you remember how The Snake took out Ricky Steamboat. I applaud AAW because everyone who was hit with “The End” landed forehead first.
And Eddie Kingston demonstrated something that I wondered if it was never done before. If someone puts your arm over their head for a suplex, why not beat them to the suplex. Your in position for it. It’s those little details that make a champ.


No comments:

Post a Comment